Wittelsbacher Castle in the Swabian town of Friedberg has been home to a museum for more than 130 years. It was closed for several years due to general renovation. The museum reopened in May 2019.
This castle was built in 1257 under the rule of Prince Ludwig II "the Strict" in the High Middle Ages to protect the Bavarian customs station on the boundary with the imperial town of Augsburg.
It is built on a projecting spur of the Lechleite and is separated from the upland plain by an unusually deep neck ditch.
The castle is entered through the square gate tower where the remnants of the keep (13th to 15th century) can still be found. A long, gatehouse with groined walls leads to the arcaded court, the upper arched rows of which are however bricked up. The East sash has a simple Renaissance bay window, and an adjacent rustic portal frames the entrance passageway. The low former business sash is in the North, and the other sides are bounded by arcades consisting of round or three-centred arches.
Since the refurbishment in 1982, the museum has held a large number of exhibits in the 14 rooms that tell the history of the region and the city.
GU solution: Solutions for doors in escape and rescue routes, multi-point locks with panic function, escape door control systems.
The various requirements for the doors (RC2, RC3 and panic function) were satisfied using BKS locks. The compatible BKS escape door control systems are also used.