Standing on more than 1000 reinforced concrete pillars directly on the river Elbe, the 110 metre high building has a gross floor area of approx. 120,000 m². A modern superstructure was erected on the brick base of an ancient harbour warehouse. The top of its glass facade is curved in a wavelike manner. This superstructure accommodates the big concert hall with 2100 seats and a smaller hall with 550 seats. In addition to its cultural use, the building comprises 45 luxury apartments and various commercial spaces. A five-star-hotel offers 244 rooms.
There are catering facilities and a multi-storey car park. Between the brick-clad base building and the glass-enclosed superstructure is the plaza on the eighth floor at a height of around 37 metres, a publicly accessible outdoor walkway. Jacques Herzog: "The project has survived because of its beauty. It has an incredible seductive power, especially in this barren, Protestant city."
GU-Solution: Solutions for escape and rescue routes